It’s the season of less and lighter – summer. The time of year when you really don’t want to be weighed down. Here are some easy, refreshing and original ideas for optimizing your food choices that are both seasonal and simple.
People tend to show off more skin during the summer months so a lot of emphasis is placed on trimming down and shedding some of that extra winter weight. Luckily, there are a lot of healthy raw fruits and vegetables in season that will not only help with weight maintenance but actually improve the overall appearance of the skin. Fiber, vitamins and minerals found in several summer food favorites, will fuel the body, minimize bloating and promote the appearance of glowing skin.
To look your very best this summer, try eating and drinking these powerful ingredients:
- Spring and Summer Greens – Asparagus and dandelion greens are extremely moisture rich and will allow the body to stay hydrated longer, promoting good health. They also contain numerous vitamins and minerals that boost immunity, aiding the body in staying healthier.
- Green Tea – Rather than drinking diet soda, enjoy iced or hot green tea. Diet soda contains artificial sweeteners which can cause bloating. Additionally, green tea is a great source of antioxidants which have an added internal skincare benefit as well.
- Dairy products – Research has indicated that fat-free milk, cheese and Greek yogurt are all essential for aiding in weight loss as it promotes in increase of fat lost through the gastrointestinal system. Women and growing children should consume three servings of non-fat dairy products per day to reap the weight management benefits.
- Citrus and other Fruit – Citrus fruits, apricots, apples and other fruits contain pectin which stimulates weight loss. A well balanced diet should always include three servings of fruit a day.
- Red Fruits & Vegetables – Tomatoes, watermelon and strawberries are all excellent sources of lycopene which hydrate the body at a cellular level. Additionally, these items are antioxidant rich and help to prevent the breakdown of collagen from the sun’s harmful rays, making the skin appear more youthful.
Next week I will post some creative, delicious and of course, nutritious menus. In the meantime, check out these summer recipes.