The day is interrupt-driven, as usual. While it seems that I’m very busy, I’m not always very productive. However, today has been different, I got through reviewing web pages and some too-long-neglected personal business. I’m excited to try some new recipes tomorrow – including a Kabocha with Phyllo dessert that sounds wonderful and very appropriate for summer. Of course, finishing off the reduced-fat chocolate sandwich cookies just topped the food part of my day! Try these recipes and tell me what you think!
Kabocha with Phyllo dessert
1 1/2 cups vanilla yogurt
1 cup honey
2 cups water
1/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 3/4 lb. kabocha squash
1/4 cup almonds, sliced and toasted
12 sheet phyllo dough
1 tsp. lemon zest
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
2. Cut the phyllo dough into squares the size of large muffin cups. Spray a muffin pan with baking/cooking spray, and line the cup with the phyllo dough. Bake the cups until golden, about 15 minutes.
3. Peel the squash and dice into 1/2″cubes.
4. Drain the yogurt into a sieve lined with dampened paper towels or coffee filters and set over a bowl for 1 hour; discard liquid. In a small bowl, mix 1 1/2 tbsp. honey with drained yogurt until honey dissolves.
5. While yogurt is draining, bring water, granulated sugar, lemon juice and zest, cinnamon and honey to a boil. Stir constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Add kabocha squash and bring to boi. Reduce heat and simmer until kabocha is tender, but not falling apart, 15-20 minutes. Transper squash to a bowl to cool using a slotted spoon.
6. Reduce the syrup to 1 1/2 cups, boiling constantly. Fill the phyllo cups with the squash, drizzle with the syrup and cool. Garnish with the almonds, and serve the yogurt on the side.
Reduce-fat Chocolate Sandwich Cookie
1 cup fat free milk
1 (4 oz.) chocolate pudding
1 ea. graham cracker crust
2 1/2 cups fat free whipped topping
8 ea. chocolate sandwich cookies
1. Pour milk into a large bowl. Add the dry pudding mix; beat with wire whisk 2 mintues or until well-blended. Gently stir in the whipped topping. Spoon into the crust.
2. Break up the cookies into small pieces and scatter over the top of the pie. Freeze, covered until ready to serve.