Staying indoors during colder weather can make you more susceptible to catching a cold or the flu. Here are some ways to help you stay healthy:
- Stay hydrated! A new spin on “drinking your fluids” is eating frozen 100% fruit juice bars.
- Eat red and orange colored fruits and veggies! Foods that are rich in beta-carotene like carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkins and apricots, contain a popular proven antioxidant that helps keep illness at bay!
- Fight bacteria by eating ginger and garlic – they are both old-time remedies that have antibacterial properties.
Sometimes, no matter how hard we try to fight it we still manage to get sick. Just in case, here are some ways to treat or ease your cold or flu:
- Don’t just drink plain tea; add honey and lemon to loosen pesky mucus build-up.
- Relieve chest congestion by eating foods that contain hot peppers, chilies, garlic, turmeric and onions.
- For overall symptom relief, enjoy a hot bowl of chicken soup. Multiple studies have show chicken soup to have a powerful impact.
Here’s my Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup recipe:
Ingredients (makes 8 servings):
4 (6 0z.) chicken breast, skinned
1 cup carrot, peeled and sliced into 3″ lengths
1 cup celery, sliced into 3″ lengths
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, stemmed
1/2 cup green bean, sliced into 3″ lengths
1/2 cup green bell pepper, sliced
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 small onion peeled and halved
1 cup soup noodles, cooked according to package directions
10 cups water
1 medium zucchini, sliced into 3″ lengths
1 tbsp. chicken soup base (like Superior Touch)
- Wash the chicken breasts well. In a large stockpot, place the chicken breasts, water and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, skimming any residue that rises to the surface.
- Add all the vegetables at once, mix thoroughly. Cover and continue to cook for at least 45 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Taste, and if more seasoning is needed, add 1-2 packets of the chicken base.
- When the vegetables are tender, strain the soup through a colander and set aside. Remove the chicken meat from the bone, discard the bones and shred the meat, vegetables, noodles and soup in a large pot. Serve at once.