Homemade Rocky Road Popcorn Balls Recipe
Serving Size: 1 rocky road popcorn ball
8 cups air-popped popcorn
¼ Cup toasted chopped almonds
2 tsp. cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. trans-fat free, lite margarine
¼ Cup fat free evaporated milk
½ Cup Hershey’s Cocoa
¾ Cup light corn syrup
1 Cup miniature marshmallows
1/8 tsp. Salt
1 ¼ Cups Sugar
1. In a heavy saucepan, mix together the sugar, cocoa, corn syrup, vinegar, and salt.
2. Add the margarine and cook slowly, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil; add the evaporated milk slowly so it does not stop boiling.
4. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring occasionally, until it reaches 265°F when measured with a candy thermometer.
5. Add the nuts and marshmallows to the chocolate mixture. Mix into the fresh popcorn.
6. Dip out large spoonfuls and make into balls, wetting your hands first in cold water or rubbing them lightly with margarine.
7. Assemble into balls quickly before the mixture hardens.
8. Place the balls on wax paper and cool.