As mentioned in yesterday’s Summer Savvy Tips, HereÂ are 5 of my great summer recipes featuring some of the healthy foods to enjoy for a summer menu. Please comment and let me know if you try any of them.
Serving Size: ÂĽ cup
2 ea. avocado, seeded, peeled & diced
2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
3 ea. tomatoes, peeled, seeded & diced
3 tbsp. lime juice
1 tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped
Â˝ tsp. green chile pepper, seeded & diced
Â˝ tsp. sea salt
Â˝ tsp. NutriFit Calypso Salt Free Spice Blend*
1. In a medium bowl, gently combine avocado, corn kernels, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, chile peppers, Calyspo blend and salt.
2. Refrigerate until ready to be served.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 182; Fat: 10.5g; Carbohydrate: 23g; Fiber: 6.6g; Protein: 3.7g
Chilled Honeydew Soup
Serving Size: 1 cup
4 cups honeydew, cut into cubes
ÂĽ cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 tbsp. superfine sugar
1. Using a food processor, puree the melon, mint, lime juice and sugar.
2. Taste for acidity, add 1 tbsp. Midori (melon liqueur, if available), and reprocess again.
3. Refrigerate until well chilled.
Nutrient Information: Calories: 101; Fat: 0.4g; Carbohydrates: 24.5g; Fiber: 2.6g; Protein: 2g
Black Bean, Corn and Barley Salad
Serving Size: 2 cups
3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 cups black beans, cooked
1 tbsp. grapeseed oil
2 tbsp. fat free parmesan cheese, grated
2 tbsp. fat free, reduced sodium vegetable broth
2 tbsp. fresh basil, minced
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
Âľ cup medium pearled barley
2 Âľ cups water
1. In a 2-quart saucepan over high heat, bring the water and barley to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low; partially cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, or until tender. Drain off any remaining water. Transfer the barley to a large bowl.
2. Add the beans, corn, and peas.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, basil, broth, and oil. Pour over the salad; toss to mix well. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Serve warm or chilled.
Nutrient information: Calories: 380; Fat: 6g; Carbohydrates: 69g; Fiber: 16g; Protein: 17g
Pasta with White Beans & Kale
Serving Size: 2 cups
1 tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
10 cups kale, stems removed and chopped
Â˝ cup reduced sodium vegetable broth
1 tsp. NutriFit Mediterranean Salt Free Spice Blend
ÂĽ tsp. black pepper
1 Â˝ cups pasta, cooked al dente and drained
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 cups white beans (cannellini or other)
ÂĽ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
ÂĽ cup feta cheese, crumbled
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add garlic; sautĂ© 1 minute.
3. Add kale, broth, spices and pepper, stirring to combine.
4. Cover; reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes or until kale wilts, stirring occasionally.
5. Add pasta, juice and beans to pan, stirring to combine; cook 1 minute or until mixture is thoroughly heated.
6. Divide pasta mixture evenly among 4 plates; sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon parsley and 1 tablespoon cheese.
Nutrient Information: Calories: 373; Fat: 8g; Carbohydrate: 58g; Dietary Fiber: 8g; Protein: 18g
Fresh Fruit Trifle
Serving Size: 1 Slice
8 slices angel Food cake, sliced about 2″ thick
1 cup lite whipped topping
2 cups fat free, vanilla yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. Amaretto, or other cordial
Â˝ cup blackberries
Â˝ cup strawberries, hulled and halved
Â˝ cup blueberries
Â˝ cup peaches, peeled and sliced
Â˝ cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
Â˝ cup pear, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1. Cut the angel food cake into large chunks, about the same size as the fresh fruit pieces you are using. Put in a large bowl.
2. In a small bowl, combine the whipped topping with the yogurt. Mix very well. Add the vanilla extract and the Amaretto.
3. In a serving bowl, assemble the trifle as follows: put a thin layer of cake cubes on the bottom, top with a thin layer of fruit to cover. Continue layering the cake and fruit until all your ingredients are used up. Pour the topping mixture over the top layer, shaking the bowl gently to allow the mixture to settle down through the layers. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Best if served within 2 hours of preparing.
Nutrient information: Calories: 193; Fat: 1g; Carbohydrates: 39g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 5g
*All recipes by Jackie Keller, Founding Director, NutriFit LLC
*NutriFitâ€™s Salt & Sugar Free Spice Blends available at www.nutrifitonline.com or call 310.473.1989.